Toxic tort cases typically result from environmental poisoning, chemical spills or exposure to unsafe chemicals. Sometimes these exposures happen acutely, but in other instances toxins may linger in the environment for days, weeks, months, years and even decades.
Some examples of toxic tort cases include:
· Unsafe chemicals/protection from chemicals in the workplace
· “Cancer clusters” or residential areas where multiples households are affected by the same types of rare cancers due to contaminated groundwater, pollutants, or other toxins.
· Exposures to pesticides
· Chemical spills
· Oil spills
· Lead poisoning
· Consumer products with dangerous chemicals
Because toxic exposure may occur over long periods of time, various statutes of limitations may need to be considered, including potential government claims. While typically the statute of limitations will begin running at the time the victim learns, or should have known, of the exposure, there are some exceptions. In these cases, it is imperative to hire a seasoned toxic tort attorney to begin investigating immediately.
The results from toxic exposure can range from minor irritation to severe injury/disease to death. As a result there is a wide range of damages available in these cases, including but not limited to:
· Medical Bills – You are entitled to compensation for both your past and expected future medical care, including some listed in the section above. Understanding your future medical needs is one of the most important aspects of ensuring that you are fully compensated for your injuries. In particular, in toxic exposure cases this may involve a variety of medical specialty areas.
· Loss of Earnings – You are entitled to compensation for time you have missed from work and for time you will miss from work in the future. Additionally, you are entitled to compensated for your loss of earning potential in the future if any of your injuries may inhibit you from advancing in your profession.
· Pain, Suffering and Emotional Distress – You are entitled to be compensated for the physical pain, suffering, humiliation, inconvenience, anxiety, disfigurement and emotional distress caused by the exposure.
· Property Damage
· Wrongful Death
Your experienced toxic tort lawyers at Coughlan & Vinel have handled a wide variety of toxic exposure from groundwater contamination to toxic chlorine gas exposures in schools. Our lawyers have had recovered millions of dollars handling toxic exposure cases. We have a small caseload so that we can give each client the same level of attention, passion and care that we would give our own family members, ensuring that you can prioritize healing and recovery for your family members.